After putting the boys to bed a couple of nights ago, I overheard a rather enthusiastic conversation. Of course, I took the opportunity to eavesdrop and see what the debate was all about.
As it turns out I would have been much better off if I’d
waddled gone back downstairs and turned on the TV.
The point in question was whether I looked more like Big Bro Bird or Orange Bird Blown Up. Apparently, the 7th month of pregnancy is very amusing to little boys.
On the plus side, at least they’ve developed the sensitivity to wait until I’m not in the room to make unflattering comparisons about my new figure. And, at least someone finds my current condition amusing.
Lucky for you guys all the Angry Bird talk has me at least trying to be on the straight and narrow with my diet. Today’s Quinoa “Risotto” is the perfect blend of healthy with just a hint of decadence. (Which is, by the way, demanded the 7th month and beyond.)
I used arugula here because I love the bite, but spinach would also work. For those who are vegan and don’t want to buy vegan ricotta, here is a great recipe for tofu ricotta.
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cups quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/ 2 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup white wine OR vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups chopped arugula
- ½ cup grated Parmesan OR vegan Parmesan
- ½ cup low fat OR tofu ricotta
- 6 tablespoons walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Put vegetable broth in a medium pan and warm.
- In a separate pan, heat the olive oil to medium. Add onion and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until tender. Add quinoa, garlic, thyme, and salt and cook for 3 minutes, stirring well. Add wine or broth and cook until it is almost absorbed.
- Add the warm broth by the ½ cup full, cooking until the liquid is absorbed before adding more. Cook over medium low until all the broth has been incorporated. Stir in the lemon juice, arugula and Parmesan and cook until the arugula is wilted.
- Divide into serving bowls and top with ricotta and walnuts.
Servings 6, Calories 280, Fat 14.5g, Carbohydrates 22.7g, Protein 12.2g, Cholesterol 12mg, Sodium 498mg, Fiber 2.9g, Sugars 2.5g, WW Pts 7