It’s been a while since I’ve shared a recipe from my Quinoa +5 series, so I decided to share a new favorite with you today. It is easy to make but honestly surprised me at just how “gourmet” it tasted. Everyone in our family loved it. Even those weirdos who claim that they don’t like asparagus.
Oh, wait. That’s me.
My husband loves asparagus but for some reason it has always been a vegetable that I’ve stayed away from. I think that perhaps I’m still traumatized by some limp asparagus (from a can or jar?) that I had at a friends house when I was growing up. Suffice it to say that my first asparagus experience left something to be desired.
I typically buy asparagus once a year and always with good intentions of preparing my husbands favorite vegetable in a way that will dazzle him.
The asparagus rots in the back of the produce drawer where it stays until my husband isn’t looking and I throw it out.
I’m not one to waste food but there is something about asparagus that has always intimated me. I have no clue why, especially when it is quite possibly the easiest vegetable to cook and only takes a couple of minutes.
Well, enough about my weird culinary phobias. I hope you enjoy this easy side dish as much as we did.
What about you – what intimidates you in the kitchen? Do you shy away from cooking foods that are easy to prepare just because you didn’t grow up eating them?
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, heated
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 1/2 cups halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Cook asparagus in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and place in a large bowl. Toss with quinoa.
- Meanwhile, spray a large skillet with olive oil spray and heat to medium high. Add garlic and tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add vinegar and cook for 3 more minutes. Salt and pepper to taste and stir into quinoa mixture. Serve warm.
Calories 85, Fat 1.1g, Carbohydrates 15.5g, Protein 4.9g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 6mg, Fiber 4g, Sugars 3.7g
This post is featured in Wellness Weekend