You know what my idea of a great meal right now is?
Anything the hubby can make and the kids will eat without fussing.
In my ideal world, both of these things happen while I prop my feet up and wonder when baby Skye will make an appearance.
(FYI – I think I have at least 3-4 more weeks despite the fact that both boys were born early. After all, my to do list for what I want to get done before she comes isn’t complete yet and you all know that babies are super-cooperative like that. )
The meal that fits the bill? Tacos!
As you might have guessed, we’ve been eating a lot of tacos for the last couple of months. Although hubby really is a good cook, when you throw the whole both boys will eat it without fussing thing into the equation, the options are basically tacos and pizza. Since making pizza means making four individual pizzas because apparently we are all picky eaters, tacos win as the staple.
One of my all time favorite taco recipes is this one. It it one of my all time favorite quinoa recipes. Since I’ve been watching my soy intake (because it hasn’t agreed with my stomach while pregnant) and we both like that recipe best with tempeh, I decided to come up with a new recipe that was also kid-friendly.
Allow me to introduce you to my Bean and Quinoa tacos.
I used both pinto and black beans, but feel free to play around with whatever you have on hand. If you have leftover filling because your kids “accidentally” break the shells so they can eat extra chips it is very good in a wrap the next day, especially if you heat it up and melt the cheese.
What’s your go to meal when you don’t feel like making something complicated?
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup cooked pinto beans
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 12 organic taco shells
- 3 cups lettuce, shredded
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup shredded cheddar OR Daiya shreds
- Sour cream, salsa and/or guacamole, optional
- Spray a large skillet with olive oil. Add onion and peppers and cook for 10 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and cook for one minute longer. Stir in quinoa, pinto beans, black beans, tomato sauce, taco seasoning, smoked paprika and chipotle chili powder. Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat to medium low. Cook for 15 minutes. Stir in lime juice.
- Meanwhile, heat taco shells according to package directions. Spoon bean mixture into taco shells and top with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and other toppings as desired.
Servings 12, Calories 183, Fat 6.5g, Carbohydrates 24.1g, Protein 7.7g, Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 327mg, Fiber 5.1g, Sugars 3.7g, WW Pts 4