Before we talk quinoa today, I just wanted to say THANKS!
So many of you emailed, left comments on the site and tweeted to give me words of encouragement after my last post. (If you missed it, I talked about how scared I am about the baby and how overwhelmed I’m feeling.)
I needed reassurance and so many of you took your time to give me just that. I can’t tell you how much it meant to me.
I have the best readers! So today, I’m making you pancakes!
These aren’t just any pancakes – they are gluten free (or not) blueberry pancakes that just happen to be packed with quinoa. As a mom who is always health conscious, I gotta get excited any time my boys ask for thirds and fourths of any quinoa packed dish! (You could easily make them without the blueberries too – just ask my oldest who strategically cut the blueberries out of the first batch before I offered to make his without.)
Inspired by Living Without
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour OR all purpose gluten free flour (with xanthan gum)
- ½ cup quinoa flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar
- 3 eggs, separated or flax eggs
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter or Earth Balance
- 1 ½ cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- In a medium bowl combine flours, baking powder, sea salt and coconut palm sugar.
- Separate eggs. To the yolks OR to the flax eggs add the applesauce, milk, vanilla and butter. Whisk in the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks form. You don’t want to over beat. Add eggs to the batter and mix well. Stir in quinoa.
- Preheat a griddle or nonstick pan to 350. Lightly oil. Using a ¼ cup measure, drop the batter onto the warm griddle. As the batter begins to set, add in blueberries. Flip when the underside is brown and cook until browned on the other side.
Servings 8, Calories 298, Fat 9.4g, Carbohydrates 44.5g, Protein 8.6g, Cholesterol 80mg, Sodium 297mg, Fiber 2.4g, Sugars 11.4g, WW Points 8