Many of you know that I’m not a big fan of traditional breakfast food, but every now and then I make an exception. Sometimes its just nice to have a warm bowl of oatmeal or in this case Quinoa Porridge. Of course, for me to enjoy its got to be jazzed up and super delicious!
This easy quinoa breakfast is the perfect way to use quinoa flakes! I made it with just quinoa flakes, but feel free to use half quinoa flakes / half oatmeal if you want a little more texture.
I enjoyed the recipe as written, but for the boys I put them in these cute jars and topped them with an extra sprinkle of brown sugar. They though I’d gone crazy and was giving them dessert for breakfast. I went along with it and then my 6 year old promptly announced “This isn’t sweet enough to count as dessert!”
Ok, so it is not exactly dessert-worthy but they ate it, I ate it and everyone was happy!
Adapted from Living Without
- 1/3 cup Quinoa Flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder or cacao powder
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon dried cherries
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon coca nibs or chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries
- Bring quinoa flakes, cocoa powder and water to a simmer in a
- medium saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer for about 7 minutes, or until
- most of the liquid has absorbed. Stir occasionally to prevent
- Add vanilla, dried cherries, sunflower seeds and maple syrup and stir until
- heated through. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with cocoa
- nibs and strawberries
Carbohydrates 46.5 g, Protein 6.3 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 11 mg, Sugars 18.4 g, Fiber 5.7g