Today’s recipe is an easy quinoa pilaf that is the next edition in my Quinoa +5 series. I don’t know about you, but I’m always looking for easy side dishes that the whole family will eat. This is a challenge around our house because I like super spicy, extremely well seasoned dishes and my boys tend to be in the “plainer the better” camp. This is a rare dish that we all liked!
It is also a great dish to experiment with. Sun dried tomatoes would be great in place of the roasted red peppers. Black beans would be great instead of the baby peas. This dish isn’t fussy – so play around and have fun with it.
You could also just use cooked quinoa and add in the sauteed onion along with the rest of the ingredients. This is an especially great option when you are short on time!
I made this with a fairly large meal and ended up having quite a bit left over. I decided to throw it in a wrap with vegan mayo, lettuce, carrots and sprouts and it was fabulous. Gotta love a side dish that also works well as lunch the next day.
This is an easy to made side dish that even your little ones will love! It's great as is but if you'd like a little more texture try topping with chopped nuts or mixing in 2 tablespoons of currants.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/3 cups water or broth
- 1 ½ cups frozen baby peas, thawed
- ½ cup roasted red peppers, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Spray a saucepan liberally with olive oil spray and allow to get warm. Add onion. Cook for 8 minutes, or until tender. Add quinoa and cook for two minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook one more minute. Add 1 1/3 cups of water or broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 30 minutes and remove from heat. Allow to sit covered for 5 minutes. Stir in baby peas and roasted red peppers and cover for five more minutes. Squeeze lemon juice on top and serve warm. If you want a little more texture, you can add in cashews, almonds or currants.
Fat: 1.8 g
Protein: 6.2 g
Sodium: 42 mg
Fiber: 4.2 g
Sugars: 3.6 g
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 3
WW Previous: 2