I don’t know about you, but when I reach this time of summer, I just want to keep things simple. Although life hasn’t been cooperating with me – between the website being hacked and then my less than one year old computer dying – at least I can keep my food simple.
Of course when it comes to food, simple doesn’t have to mean boring. I love the textures in this easy quinoa salad and combined with my favorite balsamic vinegar dressing, it doesn’t disappoint!
It also happens to be quite flexible, so use whatever vegetables you can find at your farmers market, grocery store, or even in your freezer!
And because I know I will get an email about it….yes, there are tomatoes in there. I just have to go stealth-like and chop up my tomatoes super fine or my husband won’t eat the salad. (He has the misguided impression that raw tomatoes are “slimy”.)
A small price to pay for all of the technical support he’s been providing in the last two weeks.
I hope that you all are enjoying these last weeks of summer. I don’t know about you, but I am really looking forward to some cooler weather and to settling into fall.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup radishes, cut into strips
- ½ cup tomato, seeded and diced
- ½ cup julienned carrots
- ½ cup julienned zucchini
- ½ cup julienned yellow squash
- ½ cup baby peas, fresh or thawed frozen
- ½ cup torn lettuce or kale
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar dressing (more or less to taste), homemade or store bought
- Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Toss with 3 tablespoons of dressing. Serve with additional dressing if desired.
Calories 141, Fat 1.8g, Carbohydrates 26 g, Protein 6.4g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 34 mg, Fiber 4.9g, Sugars 3.9g
Note: Nutritional information EXCLUDES dressing to allow you to account for the dressing used.