When it is hot out, I almost never am in the mood for a warm meal. Living in a warm climate, that means from May thru September, salads are on the menu daily. Always one to fall into a food rut, I have to work hard to force myself to change things up. This is one of those dishes that really hit the stop! The inspiration for was found in Clean Eating magazine.
The orginal used Bulgur and mint, neither of which I care for. I am a big fan of spicy dishes, and this quinoa salad does pack a little punch. You can adjust the cilantro, ground chipolte and red pepper to suit your own tastes. Try it out!
- 12 ounces boneless chicken breasts or Beyond Meat Chicken Free Strips
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- zest of 1 lemon
- pinch of ground chipotle chili pepper (you can substitute Cayenne pepper if you don't have chipotle)
- 1/4 cup toasted almond slivers
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper
- Pound the chicken under plastic wrap until thin. (Skip this step if you are using Beyond Meat Chicken Strips.) Place in a large plastic bag.
- Combine oil, red pepper flakes, cumin and lemon juice. Pour over chicken and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Spray pot with cooking spray. Add onion and saute until tender. Add lemon zest, pinch of ground chipolte chilie, chicken broth and quinoa. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook until all liquid is absorbed, around 30 minutes. Let sit covered for an additional 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, Cook chicken on grill over medium high heat. Remove from heat and let rest. Cut into cubes.
- Combine quinoa, chicken, almonds and cilantro.
- Serve warm or chilled.
Servings 6, Calories 329, Fat 13.7g, Carbohydrates 19.2g, Protein 31.4g, Cholesterol 77mg, Sodium 74mg, Fiber 2.7g, Sugars .7g, WW Pts 8