It’s no secret around here that I really love Mexican food. People ask me all the time how I can run a single subject food site without getting bored. Sometimes I do, but to be honest most of the time I could probably run a website that had nothing but Mexican quinoa recipes and do just fine.
Given my insane love of Mexican dishes, I ask for your indulgence today as I share with you yet another Mexican quinoa recipe.
My latest creation has it all – smokey heat from the chipotle pepper combined with the coolness of cream cheese. Add in a zip of lime juice and you’ve got a dish that is special enough for company but easy enough to make for a Friday night dinner. You can cook it in oil….or not – which means that even those of you who are trying to watch your oil intake can enjoy this one.
I especially like it served over a bed of crisp romaine lettuce and chopped tomatoes, drizzled in dipping sauce and topped with a little guacamole. YUMMM….
I have some amazing salads coming up later this week that are perfect for summer!
Recipe inspired by Mommy I’m Hungry -
Click here for the dipping sauce I used. My only changes were making it vegan and adding in a chipotle pepper for a little heat.
- 8 ounces tempeh bacon (like fakin bacon) or bacon of choice ***see note
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened (I used toffuti vegan cream cheese)
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- 8 corn tortillas
- Coconut oil, for cooking (optional)
- Dipping Sauce, Sour Cream or Guacamole (optional)
- Cook bacon according to package directions. Drain on paper towels.
- In a medium bowl stir bacon, quinoa, cream cheese, chipotle chili, lime juice, garlic, taco seasoning, nutritional yeast, cilantro and green onions.
- Heat the tortillas in a warm skillet until pliable.
- Spoon quinoa mixture into tortillas and secure with two toothpicks.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until brown on all sides, flipping as necessary. (Alternatively, you can bake at 425 degrees until for 10 minutes, flip and cook an additional 5 – 10 minutes.)
Calories 223, Fat 9.3g, Carbohydrates 25.5 g, Protein 10.6g, Cholesterol 16 mg, Sodium 58 mg, Fiber 5.5g, Weight Watchers Points Plus 6, Old points 4
If you are gluten free, please note that fakin bacon does have gluten in it. I make my own tempeh bacon using this recipe
This recipe is featured on Slightly Indulgent Tuesday.