Recipe: Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Summary: While I do my best to eat clean most of the time, I will be the first to admit that I am not perfect. In fact, my biggest weakness is that I love anything rich and creamy. Today, I thought I would share with you one of my favorite family recipes – my macaroni and cheese recipe. This is without a doubt the dish that my kids ask for the most.
Now, for my loyal readers you may be wondering what the heck a macaroni and cheese recipe is doing on a website that is mostly about quinoa. Allow me to explain.
I’ve taken what my son Alex named “Mom’s World Famous Macaroni and Cheese Recipe” and made it a little bit healthier. I can’t say that it would qualify as health food, but it is a little bit better for you than the original. What I haven’t done is opt for low fat cheese or done anything to sacrifice the taste. My kids – who don’t get much junk food- jump for joy when I make this one.
Now, if you are cooking for a special occasion or one of those people that just doesn’t have to worry about what they eat, by all means: use the regular white pasta and flour. Skip the yogurt and go for full fat milk. The results will wow your family and will have you whipping up macaroni and cheese at least once a week. Still, I would encourage you to try my tweaks to make this family favorite just a little bit healthier. I really love Ancient Harvest Quinoa Organic Pasta as well as
Quinoa 07171 Wheat Free Elbows and my kids don’t seem to notice that it is healthier for them!
Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 1 lb elbow noodles (I use this quinoa pasta)
- 1 ½ lbs extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 5 T butter, divided
- 3 T quinoa flour (white flour works just fine too!)
- 2 cups low fat milk
- ½ cup non-fat Greek Yogurt
- 1 ½ T Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp mineral sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ cup plain breadcrumbs
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt 3 T of the butter. Add in 3 T of flour and whisk until combined. Cook for three minutes or until the mixture starts to turn golden brown. Whisk in milk a little bit at a time. Allow to cook for another two minutes, stirring often. Add in yogurt and cook for another minute.
- Add in one pound of the cheddar cheese and cook over medium low until melted. When the cheese is fully melted, add in mustard, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Combine noodles with sauce and add in remaining ½ cup cheese. Place in a prepared casserole dish.
- Melt remaining 2 T of butter and combine with breadcrumbs. Top cheese and noodle mixture with breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Allow to cool 15 minutes prior to serving. Enjoy!
You can use regular pasta, whole wheat pasta or any type of pasta that you like. White flour works just fine, but I have never tried it with wheat.
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 12
Meal type: dinner