I am a planner by nature, but it always seems like I’m running behind around the holidays. And this year seems especially bad.
Take for example my new e-book.
I’m quite aware that this should have been released 3 or 4 weeks ago. But for some reason (I blame exhaustion!) I just couldn’t quite get it together.
My husband finally took pity on me and did it for me. (Before those of you how have purchased it panic, by doing it for me I mean the putting it together part NOT the recipes.)
Another great example is my Thanksgiving posts. You know – those 5 recipes I’ve written and planned on testing and sharing with you this week.
Maybe we will save those babies for Christmas.
Luckily, I did find the time to make these yummy Quick Quinoa Corn Muffins to share with you.
These are just perfect for those of you who are looking for a last minute Thanksgiving contribution or who forgot to plan on bread for your holiday table. (And now is NOT the time to tell me you’ve got everything covered . It is just hubby, me & the boys this year and I’m figuring out my holiday menu…tomorrow. As someone who typically has a holiday notebook of food planning done by Halloween, I’m really not quite sure how to deal with this.)
I whipped them together start to finish in less than 1/2 hour and they smelled so good coming out of the oven I had to eat one before I could photograph it.
Just to make sure the recipe worked.
I ended up adding in and extra 1/4 cup of milk (which is included in the recipe below) when I was making them because I hate corn muffins and bread that is overly dry. If you prefer a dry corn muffin, feel free to reduce the milk by 1/4 cup.
If you’ve been following on Facebook you’ll know why I pretty excited that these have 5 grams of protein per serving. Not exactly a high protein food, but every little bit adds up!
I’m wishing you all a very joyous, delicious and restful Thanksgiving!
- 1 3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk or milk of choice
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 flax egg OR 1 beaten egg
- ½ cup gluten free flour blend
- ½ cup toasted Quinoa Flour
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal (ensure Gluten Free Cornmealif you are sensitive)
- ¾ cup cooked Quinoa
- 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried onion
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese or Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine milk and lemon juice and set aside for 5 to 10 minutes to curdle. Whisk in olive oil and egg.
- In a separate bowl combine flours, cornmeal, quinoa, palm sugar, baking powder, baking soda, parsley, onion, salt and pepper. Make a well in the center and whisk in milk mixture, mixing until just combined. Stir in cheese.
- Spoon into 12 well greased muffin cups (you may line them to avoid extra oil) and bake for 13 to 15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
Calories Per Muffin: 159, Fat 7.2g, Carbohydrates 18.9g, Protein 5.1g, Cholesterol 17mg, Sodium 218mg, Fiber 1.6g, Sugars 2.5g
Toasting quinoa flour is optional and simply mellows the flavor. To toast, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the flour to no more than 1/2 inch. Toast for 2 1/2 hours. Allow to cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Post featured in Wellness Weekend