I don’t make soup often, but when I do I am always caught off guard by how much I love it.
This Broccoli Spinach Quinoa Soup is still one of my favorites. (And you guys liked it too! It’s been Pinned over 13,000 times.)
I suppose living in warm environment is partly to blame for my infrequent soup making, but that certainly wasn’t a problem this week. Even here it was time to put my flip flops up and break out something warmer. (What I would give for just one more warm sunny day!)
It wasn’t all bad though. I took advantage of the cold and made this amazing Quinoa Apple Cheddar Soup. It was so rich and creamy and packed with flavor. Perfect comfort food for the dreary weather.
I got the idea for this from Rachel Ray, though my recipe looks quite a bit different from hers. I love the apple cheddar combo, but I wasn’t sure if the sweetness was going to throw me off. I am happy to say that it didn’t.
Do make sure that you use unsweetened apple juice though, because I am pretty sure that had I used sweetened apple juice it would have been too much. (Bonus points if you juice your own apples.)
In other news, I am really excited to have started a Quinoa community on Google+. Even if you haven’t jumped on the G+ bandwagon yet (I know I am late to the party!) I hope that you will come join the group. You can do so here:
If you aren’t familiar with a community, you should understand that it is a bit different that a Facebook Page. A community is not just a place for me to share with my followers, but also a place for you to share with each other. Cook a quinoa recipe? Snap a pic and share it with everyone. If you come up with a recipe you’d like to share that would be great too. You can ask questions and give support to others who are working towards healthy living. By the way, other bloggers are more than welcome. Please come and share.
Lastly, in case you missed it, I just launched my latest ebook, Quinoa Strong. Take a sneak peak:
If you are feeling off track, stalled or just in need of a little more inspiration, be sure to check out my latest e-book, Quinoa Strong. With over 50 recipes including everything from breakfast to dessert, you are sure to find the motivation you need to stay on course!
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 large apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 3 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 ounces cheddar or Daiya cheese
- 3 slices gluten free bread
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Chopped Chives
- Spray a large pot with olive oil and add onion and apple. Cook until the apple is soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add quinoa, broth, apple juice, thyme, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add all but 1/4 cup of the cheese and cook over low until melted. Allow to cool slightly then working in batches, puree in a blender.
- Meanwhile, preheat the broiler. Spread mustard on bread and top with remaining cheese. Cook until cheese is melted and then cut into 1” squares.
- Ladle soup into bowls and then top with croutons and chives.
Servings 6, Calories 227, Fat 6.2g, Carbohydrates 29.3g, Protein 14.7g, Cholesterol 8mg, Sodium 1095mg, Fiber 3.2g, Sugars 10.5g, WW Pts 6