Today’s Quinoa Burger is a protein packed meal that will please herbivores and carnivores alike. It happens to be my husbands new favorite veggie burger recipe, and I often make a double batch just for him. With over 30 grams of protein per serving, its an ideal hungry man’s dinner, veggie style!
Now, my apologies to those of you who are gluten free. This recipe does have vital wheat gluten which gives it a texture that is amazing! Stick with me because I have a new gluten free quinoa burger/quinoa patty coming up in a few days which I actually like better than this one. (Hubby would disagree, though he liked the quinoa patties too!)
An interesting note about this recipe is that it is very versatile. I made it a few weeks ago with leftovers from this recipe (I cut the sausage up fine) and it was out of this world! Here I’ve used plain cooked quinoa and it was still fantastic. We love the flavor from the liquid smoke, but if it’s something you’d rather not use you can leave it of or substitute Worcestershire Sauce sauce in its place.
This recipe was modified from Hearty Vegan Meals for Monster Appetites. I love the book but my one complaint is that it uses things like TVP. You can read more here about why TVP may not be something you want to eat on a regular basis. We tried it prior to knowing that it wasn’t so good for you and both of us didn’t like how we felt afterwards. Luckily, quinoa works just as well in many cases, this recipe being a case in point.
I’ve used my new, amazing, wonderful Griddler (the one that was on my Christmas list :)) here, which allows me to cook without oil. I’ve listed other options below.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder or 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup organic ketchup (look for a brand that doesn’t have high fructose corn syrup)
- 1/2 cup steak sauce or additional ketchup
- 2 tablespoons No Stir Peanut Butter
- 1 tablespoon Liquid Smoke (optional)
- In a medium bowl combine vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and fresh ground black pepper.
- In a large bowl combine cooked quinoa, organic ketchup, steak sauce, peanut butter and liquid smoke (if you are using.). Add gluten mixture to quinoa and stir to combine. Use clean hands and mix everything together. You will need to knead much like you knead bread. Allow to sit for 15 minutes to allow the gluten to develop.
- Form into four patties. Grill for about seven minutes a side or 12-15 minutes if using a Griddler or foreman grill. Alternatively, heat olive oil in a skillet to medium and cook 5 to 7 minutes a side.
Recipe by Cooking Quinoa.