Like I a lot of you, I spent the day hugging my boys a little tighter than usual. More conscious of just how fortunate I am at this moment. Trying to balance the heavy heart I feel with the need to move on and live. Because, well, we’ve been given that opportunity when so many haven’t.
Baking is one of my boys favorite things to do with me, so even though I was rushed for time today I made sure that we did that.
We made these little monkey squares which are moist and delicious. They were the perfect bite sized treat to have on hand when may parents arrived from their two day trip from Texas. If you do have little ones, this is a fun recipe to get them involved in. My boys take great joy in mashing bananas and the small size is just perfect for little hands.
Wishing you and your family a very safe weekend.
- 2 1/3 cups ripe bananas (about 4 large)
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar (or sugar of choice)
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted (or canola oil)
- ¼ cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 2 large eggs OR flax eggs (instructions below)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ cups gluten free flour blend OR all purpose flour
- ½ cup quinoa flour
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13 x 9 inch pan with parchment paper so that the parchment paper slightly overlaps the edges.
- If using flax eggs combine 2 tablespoons of ground flax seeds with 6 tablespoons of warm water. Stir well and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine bananas, palm sugar, apple sauce, coconut oil, milk, eggs and vanilla. Whisk until well combined. Add baking soda, cinnamon, sea salt, and flour. Stir until blended. Add quinoa and ½ cup chocolate chips and mix until combined.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely in pan and remove from pan by lifting the parchment paper. Cut into 48 squares.
Servings 48, Calories 71, Fat 2.6g, Carbohydrates 10.6g, Protein 1.4g, Cholesterol 9mg, Sodium 51mg, Fiber .6 g, Sugars 4.4g