Every time I make a new recipe for quinoa pancakes I say “Oh, this is my favorite!” It’s really pretty funny because I’m never making them for myself and I never eat more than a taste. Yes, I know, I’m very weird. Salad sounds great to me in the morning but something sweet like pancakes, not so much.
Anyhow, I have been looking for a recipe for a pancake mix because although my boys are very happy to have pancakes each morning, my motivation to get in the kitchen and cook first thing is not so strong.
Especially since my 5 1/2 year old has been reverting to his toddler days and waking up at 5 am. (To check and see what’s happening on Pet Shop and Dragonvale on my iPad….)
The same tactics that worked when he was little “It’s still the middle of the night” aren’t so effective now that he can tell time. Plus he’s still my baby and a little iPad snuggle time first thing is a small sacrifice for sleep.
ANYHOW, this mix for quinoa pancakes is perfect for our family. With no white flour and quinoa flakes, quinoa flour and quinoa, I feel really good about giving them this in the morning and they love them!
With the cornmeal this is a little bit of a different texture than you may be used to, but I highly encourage you to try it!
By the way, if you haven’t already gotten it you can still pick up my new ebook, The Best of Cooking Quinoa for $4.99. It has over 300 pages of quinoa recipes all with nutritional data and with tons of photos. You can can get it along with Quintessential Quinoa, my ebook of all original recipes NOT on the website, for just $12.99.
Order one or both here. Through the holidays we will be offering gift options so this is a great way to give the gift of health.
Recipe Adapted from Vegan Diner
- For the Mix
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 1 cup fine or medium grind cornmeal
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes or oats
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- For each 1 cup mix
- 1 cup almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup cooked quinoa
- In a large bowl, combine whole wheat pastry flour, quinoa flour, cornmeal, quinoa flakes, brown sugar, baking powder and sea salt. Keep the mixture in an airtight container until ready to use. (Makes about 4 cups)
- To make add one cup almond milk, a teaspoon of vanilla and 2/3 cup cooked quinoa to each one cup of baking mix. Mix until smooth.
- Heat a skillet over medium low and brush with oil. Add batter by the 1/4 cup full. Cook until bubbles form and burst and pancakes are golden brown. Flip and cook until brown.