It would seem that spring is upon us – at least in some parts of the country. (Hopefully you are one of the lucky ones!) Now that the weather is getting warmer I’ve been in the mood for more quinoa salad recipes. I always find that when it is warm I would rather be outside than in the kitchen and quinoa salad is the perfect solution. When I think quinoa salad, cranberries are one of the first things that comes to mind! This recipe combines some of my all time favorites – cranberries, walnuts, pecans and fresh buffalo mozzarella! With those things in a dish, you just can’t go wrong! It is the perfect amount of crunch with a hint of sweetness! This would also make a really pretty red quinoa salad!
Time Saving Tips
Most of the time I will make up a really big batch of quinoa over the weekend, which means with just a little chopping and I’m done with dinner without even having to turn on the stove. For those of you looking for quinoa recipes easy enough for after your toughest work day, I also recommend making up some of my balsamic vinaigrette (or even my super healthy balsamic vinegar dressing with chia seeds!) over the weekend. Just by changing up your other ingredients you can come up with two or three easy meals during the week in just a fraction of the time. I just got a Garlic Peeler which is an absolute dream when it comes to speeding up the time it takes to peel garlic. I always made up really small batches of dressing because I just hate the garlic peeling process (pretty funny for someone who cooks with garlic as much as I do) and I refuse to buy those jars loaded with preservatives. Now I don’t have that problem any more!
Now, about the cranberries – I use dried cranberries that I purchase in bulk. You could use craisins if you don’t have a place to buy bulk foods handy.
Recipe: Quinoa Salad Recipe with Cranberries and Nuts
- 2 cups quinoa
- 1 ½ cups green onions, sliced
- 1 ½ cups celery, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup pecans
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 8oz buffalo mozzarella, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 3 T olive oil
- 4 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- Place the rinsed quinoa in a large stockpot of boiling water. Boil for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain using a fine metal colander. Rinse. Bring several inches of water to boil in the pot. Place the quinoa in the metal colander over the water. Cover tightly and steam for 10 minutes. Allow the quinoa to cool.
- When cool, combine with onions, celery, parsley, pecans, cranberries, walnuts and mozzarella.
- In a small bowl combine vinegar, garlic, mustard and cumin. Slowly add in olive oil in a steady stream. (Or use a salad dressing mixer)
- Toss dressing with quinoa. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
If you have quinoa recipes that you would like to share I would love to hear from you!