Today I’ve got a great quinoa taco salad to share with you.
Tacos have always been a big deal at my house. Back in the day – and before I was a vegetarian – every Thursday night was taco night with survivor and Friends. Oh, how I miss Friends. I was not an early adapter but caught on a few years in when it seems that everything going on was mimicking what was going on in my life. Although I don’t watch TV much anymore, I do get Cougar Town from iTunes just to keep up with my laughs. Anyways…. back to quinoa…..
This is not a traditional taco salad as you can see. But it is a very tasty one. Inspired by the Gluten Free Goddess, I’ve paired quinoa with red onions, mango and avocado. The blend is perfect and you won’t be missing your traditional tacos a bit!
The original recipe called for corn, which I think would be good too. Especially now that you can get really good fresh corn at the grocery store. The day I made this, I was in the mood for something sweet, so the mango was just perfect. This is a great recipe to play around with so feel free to experiment!
This recipe is adapted from the Gluten Free Goddess
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 T fresh lime juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 T fresh cilantro
- 1 yellow or red pepper
- 1 mango, diced
- 6 cups romaine lettuce torn
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- Baked Tortilla Chips (gluten free or regular)
- Combine sliced red onion and red wine vinegar in a small bowl. Allow to marinate for 15 minutes or up to a couple of hours.
- In a small bowl combine olive oil, lime juice, garlic and sea salt. Toss with quinoa. Stir in cilantro, pepper, mango and red onion mixture.
- Divide romaine among four serving plates. Top with quinoa mixture and avocado. Serve with tortilla chips.