Cooking quinoa does not have to mean that you sacrifice taste! This is a simple and healthy dish that is not short on taste! This was actually one of the first recipes I added to cooking quinoa – back before I had any vision for the site or knew that it was going to grow to get thousands of visitor a day.
This recipe was adapted from Tosca Reno’s The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook. ( I think…sadly, I don’t remember which one of her cookbooks this came from.
This is one of those great easy quinoa recipes, that is also exceptionally tasty. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Red Pepper and Onion Quinoa
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 70 minutes
Total Time: 80 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
Calories per serving: 214
Fat per serving: 6.1 g
- 2 T Olive Oil
- 4 medium onions, chopped fine
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 2 vegetable flavored bullion cubes
- Add onion, salt, and cayenne pepper to pan and cook until onion are brown. Add peppers and cook over low heat until the onions are caramelized. (This will take at least 30 minutes) When onions are almost done, add in garlic.
- Add water, rinsed quinoa and stock cubes. Bring to a simmer. Lower heat and cooked covered for 40 minutes. Remove from heat at let sit covered for another 5 minutes. Serve!
Complete Nutritional Data for Red Pepper and Onion Quinoa : Serving Size 252 g Calories 214 Total Fat 6.1g Saturated Fat 0.8g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 185mg Total Carbohydrates 33.5gn Dietary Fiber 4.5g Sugars 3.6g Protein 6.7g
Make sure you check out Tosca Reno’s other cookbooks for some great healthy quinoa recipes. (Well actually, she has a lot of great recipes in general. I got my kids to stop eating junk food using her Eat Clean Diet for Kids cookbook)