While the boys were in the pool today, I decided to throw together a quinoa salad. It is hot here today, (103 on its way to 110…yikes…It may be a dry heat but it is still hotter than h*ll) and the idea of something cool sounded good. I usually don’t hesitate to jump in the car and go to the store, but the heat is really bugging me today, so I decided to use ingredients I had on hand.
The results were surprisingly good. I think this is going to go in my regular rotation of summer recipes. Even my husband (who hates it when I make dishes that are vegetarian) liked it. I actually used balsamic vinegar because that is what I had on hand, but I think that red wine vinegar probably would have allowed the flavors to come out a little more.
- 3 cups of water
- Vegetable Bullion Cube
- 1 ½ cups of quinoa, rinsed
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Juice from 3 Limes
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp ground chipotle chili powder (or cayenne)
- 2 T red wine vinegar
- 2 T olive oil
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 can black beans, drained
- ½ cup fresh or frozen corn
- ½ red onion, diced
- ½ cup roasted red pepper, diced
- 1 T minced jalapenos
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ½ cup queso fresco (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot combine water and chicken bouillon and bring to a boil. Add quinoa and salt and boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and rinse quinoa and place in a fine metal sieve or fine colander. Bring a fresh pot of water to boil. Place quinoa in the sieve over it. Cover with a kitchen towel and lid. Steam for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile make the dressing by combining lime juice, cumin, chili powder, chipolte chili powder, vinegar, olive oil and garlic. (You can do this in a small bowl or in a blender)
- In a separate bowl, combine black beans, corn, onion, red pepper, jalapenos and cilantro.
- After quinoa cools, combine with black bean mixture. Stir in cheese if, desired.
- Toss with dressing and serve at room temperature or chilled.
Servings 6, Calories 305, Fat 9.2g, Carbohydrates 41.1g, Protein 14.3g, Cholesterol 7mg, Sodium 463mg, Fiber 8g, Sugars 2.8g, WW Pts 8