Skye is officially a toddler and is doing a great job at keeping us all on our toes. If you are looking to drop a few pounds, just come by and babysit for a couple of hours a day.
Seriously, most days I am clocking more than 10,000 steps without every intentionally doing anything to meet my step goal.
She is so busy, so into everything, and SO much fun!
She loves to “help out” around the house and is an expert at pulling clothes out of the dryer and turning it on. Dishes are a major fascination and it has become quite a challenge to get them done and keep her safe.
The boys are thrilled that she is finally interested in her Duplo Legos and can actually put them together. So thrilled, that after months of saying they would never, EVER play with Lego Friends, I was presented with an entire brochure of Lego Friends in which every single set was circled as one that their sister “needed”. They already have it figured out as to how their Legos and Skye’s can play together.
We are officially having bow wars, which means that I put a bow or barrette in Skye’s hair and she immediately takes it out. Repeat. About 20 times. Then I give up. Thus far her will is stronger than mine. (Tips from seasoned girl mommy’s are appreciated.)
I did have a little success with pigtails, but ultimately decided that she doesn’t have quite enough hair for that.
Oh, wait. You didn’t come here to talk about my princess. Right, quinoa. I’ll try to keep my focus.
Today’s Spanish Quinoa Scramble is one of my new favorite ways to start the day. I’ve found that I do much better with a high protein breakfast, and this certainly fits the bill. Plus, I feel like I am getting bonus points for starting my day with so many veggies!
It is fairly easy to make, though if you are tight on time you may want to consider chopping the veggies ahead of time.
Gotta run, there is chasing to be done!
- 4 eggs or 1 cup pressed and crumbled tofu
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (or oil of choice)
- 1 zucchini, julienned
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese or Daiya, shredded
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- Salsa, for serving
- In a medium bowl mix together eggs or tofu, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a skillet and add zucchini and red pepper. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften. Add tomato and quinoa and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Pour egg or tofu mixture over the vegetables and cook, string constantly, until the eggs are cooked through. Top with cheese and allow to melt.
- Serve with avocado and salsa.
Servings 3, Serving Size 250g, Calories 309, Fat 21.2g, Carbohydrates 16.2g, Protein 15.7g, Cholesterol 238mg, Sodium 524mg, Potassium 647mg, Fiber 5.3g, Sugars 4.2g