This time of year is always pretty laid back for our family. Between July 4th and the hubby’s birthday two days later, I clearly have all of the excuses I need to work less and play more. Despite my best intentions, once again this year I find that I haven’t planned as well as I could have. As such I am not looking at a freezer full of meals and goodies for us to enjoy this week.
Of course we have to eat. So this means I’ll be relying on a few of my quick and easy favorites as well as dishes that can be prepared early in the day so that I can enjoy time with family and not spend the entire week in the kitchen.
On the menu is today’s quinoa salad – which is another installment in my Quinoa + 5 series.
It’s the perfect summer side dish that is pretty on your table and oh so delicious.
What else will I be making this week?
- Quinoa Tacos (the filling can be make ahead of time)
- BBQ Tempeh Sandwiches from The Kind Life (another make ahead favorite)
- Enchiladas with Red Chile Sauce (make ahead – recipe coming soon)
- Fried “Chick’n” Sandwiches (Tempeh for me) with Smokey Pub Cheese (a birthday indulgence)
- Sweet Potato Fries with Garlic Lime Sauce
For lunches we will be having:
- A huge salad that will last for several days
- Homemade hummus for sandwiches (with tomatoes from the garden!)
- Wraps (recipes coming soon)
What about you? Are you cooking for a crowd this week or staying out of the kitchen all together? What’s on your menu?
You can use purchased raspberry vinegar dressing, but I like to make my own using my chia seed balsamic vinegar dressing combined with 2 tablespoons organic raspberry preserves. You could also substitute raspberry vinegar in that recipe if you happen to have some.
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 4 cups baby spinach
- ¼ cup chopped radish
- 2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/3 cup Raspberry Vinaigrette (Balsamic Vinegar would be nice too!)
- Mix quinoa, spinach, radish, oranges and strawberries in a medium bowl. Toss with dressing and serve.
Calories 112, Fat 1.2g, Carbohydrates 23.5g, Protein 3.9g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 28mg, Fiber 4.6g, Sugars 10.6g (nutritional information does not account for dressing)