The Christmas countdown is officially on! And how could I forget that its only three days away with the boys reminding me ten times a day?
I know many of you already have your menus planned and already endured the always spectacular holiday grocery store experience.
For those who are still figuring out what to have, today I’ve got a healthier and gluten free twist on a holiday classic.
I made this the other day and the non-quinoa loving branch of the family exclaimed “This taste like sweet potato casserole!”
Um,yeah. That was kind of the idea.
It was strikingly similar to the casserole I remember, minus the cup of white sugar and gluten.
I hope that you all have an amazing holiday and that Santa brings you every thing you want!
- 1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup almond milk or milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance or Unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup gluten free or all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- 4 tablespoons Earth Balance or Unsalted butter, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Rinse potatoes and bake for 45 minutes, or until tender. Allow to cool slightly and then cut open and scoop the flesh out into a large bowl.
- Add maple syrup, milk, butter, vanilla and cinnamon to the bowl. Mash with a potato masher and transfer mixture to a casserole dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine quinoa, pecans, flour and palm sugar. Combine with a fork and add butter. Mix with a pastry cutter or fork until a crumble forms. Sprinkle topping over sweet potatoes.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
Servings 12, Fat 14.1g, Carbohydrates 34.2g, Protein 2.6g, Cholesterol 15mg, Sodium 62mg, Fiber 3.5g, Sugars 10.4g